Everyone says that being a first-time mom is difficult. In my case, it was extra difficult because:
- Motherhood (that’s how I call Mom) lives far, far away and was not able to visit me when I gave birth.
- In my two circles of close friends, I was the first one (yep, in both circles!) to become a mommy.
That being said, I was almost clueless on what to do and what to buy, as I could not ask advice from someone who won’t judge my presupposed choices and someone who could give me the best advice because she knows me and my quirks.
I distinctly remember being all too stressed because when we brought Raviv home, he still had no crib or bassinet!!! He had to sleep between Randy and me on our queen-sized bed. Imagine how sleepless I was—still tired from giving birth, stressed because I did not know how to breastfeed, and add to that the fact that I was not free to move on our bed as I feared I might squish my tiny bundle of stress (hehe) if I moved even the tip of my finger! As in Randy and I were like stones!
When I finally had the strength to go shopping for baby stuff, my head swirled because baby things abound! I felt like the sales assistants were vultures circling me, a hapless prey. I realized that a bassinet or a crib was just the tip of the iceberg—I also had to buy baby wipes, diapers, toiletries and yes, even laundry soap for my baby, WAAAAH!!! It was all so overwhelming.
As I keep on saying, I’m a true-blue relative of Cory Quirino and Cory Aquino (as I am also Cory-pot, hehe. Lame, I get it. I just couldn’t help it!) Of course, I’d been tempted to buy the most cheapipay of them all, only to regret my choice later.
That’s why I am very eager to tell you Smart Parenting Magazine’s new project this year: its very first “Best for Baby Awards”! It will give us the rundown on which products are the safest, gentlest and most effective on your baby’s delicate and sensitive skin.
Together with a panel of trusted experts, Smart Parenting has conducted testing on products that are essentials in daily baby care: disposable diapers, baby wipes, skin cleansers, skin lotions and laundry soap for baby clothes.
The brands participating in the product testing were selected by Smart Parenting, these being top-of-mind brands and being readily available in supermarkets and department stores.
- The disposable diapers were tested and ranked for their efficacy when it comes to the following criteria: absorption speed, dryness, skin protection, stretchability and softness.
- The baby wipes were evaluated based on their cleaning ability and mildness.
- Both regular and sensitive variants of skin cleansers were tested for their mildness and scent.
- Skin lotions, on the other hand, were tested for their mildness, scent, rate of skin absorption and their non-greasy feel.
- Lastly, the panel of experts tested and examined the scent and cleaning ability of laundry soap for baby clothes.
- Each of the products that won in the product testing will be awarded Smart Parenting’s “Best for Baby” seal, to signify that a panel of experts ensures their quality.
- Moms, especially first-time moms and moms-to-be, should stay tuned for the list of
- ! I promise—identifying the best of the best will save you time staring at the products when you do your grocery and will save you money (because trust me, you will just discard sub-par products as they will irritate your child’s skin, making you spend more on buying expensive ointments to heal your little one’s rashes!)
The big reveal of the winning products will be in Smart Parenting Magazine’s September issue and on the Smart Parenting Official website.
Tell me what you think!
Powered by Facebook Comments