Remember my post about my Althea Korea make-up and skin care loot in December?
As I have promised, here’s a review of the make-up in that wonderful box! #SaWakas (Please allow another 3 months for the review of the skincare products, hehehe.)
My Althea Make-up Haul
Banila Co. Prime Primer Finish Powder
Price on Althea as of today: on sale at P1,000 (original price: P1,060)
I first heard about Banila Co. from my friend Say Alonzo (check out her make-up tutorials on Youtube! Very engaging and very understandable. I love watching her!) Although its name has the word “primer” in it, it’s not a primer but rather a finish powder. I use this to set my make-up.
- What I love about it: True to its claims, it effectively controls sebum. When I put it on, I no longer need to retouch or use an oil blotter. It’s perfect for me because I’m extremely lazy to retouch my make-up. It’s also very light, it does not cause any cakey-ness, and a little goes a long way. You only need a little, so this will last you a loooong time.
- What I don’t like about it: Its texture—it is similar to cornstarch—silky yet maaligasgas at the same time (which is unlike other powders). I don’t like how it feels on my fingers.
- Will I buy it again? Probably, but after I finish this I want to try Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder first. I’m new in the “setting powder” arena, so I want to see first which is the most hiyang for me.
Nella Aura Radiance BB Foundation Cream
Price on Althea as of today: on sale at P270 (original price: P720)
- What I love about it: I love this BB cream!!! Not just because it’s incredibly inexpensive, but because it gives me the perfect finish! Prior to using this, a cosmetic brand sent me a lot of make-up samples for review. One of them is a BB cream which I tried but washed off right away because it felt so heavy and cakey on my face (yes, it’s that horrible! That’s why I never wrote about it anymore). I put Nella Aura Radiance BB foundation Cream on my face using an oval paddle make-up brush (I tried putting it on using different foundation brushes and Beauty Blender—they’re OK, but in my opinion a dense and soft oval paddle make-up brush is the best!) and it gives my face light yet perfect coverage, plus a dewy finish. And the relatively high SPF is a bonus!
- What I don’t like about it: Nothing
- Will I buy it again? Definitely!
Selfie Witch’s Pouch Gel Liner
currently out of stock on Althea; but price is only P83 (original price: P670—it’s on 87% off!!!)
- What I love about it: At only P87 (at least on Althea.com), this is such a steal. As in a steal! Aside from its price, I love that it doesn’t smudge and stays put the whole day, even when I get sweaty. I’ve never experienced raccoon eyes with this! It also glides very easily, and has a very rich pigment. It even has its own built-in removable sharpener. Koreans are geniuses!!!
- What I don’t like about it: Since I have small almond-shaped eyes and my hands aren’t steady, I need an eyeliner that’s extremely thin (check out the photo of my ideal eyeliner below). Even when I sharpen it, it’s still not as thin as I want it to be. Meaning, it’s not that effective when I wing my upper lids. That’s my only issue, nothing more.
- Will I buy it again? At this price? Of course!!! But I’ll use something else to wing my upper lids, like this one from The Face Shop:
Rire Long Luxe & Curl Mascara
Price on Althea as of today: on sale at P310 (original price: P1,000)
- What I love about it: Its applicator is perfect for my small eyes! It easily reaches every crevice, and catches even the shortest lash. And while it doesn’t smudge, it’s very easy to remove! I just wash my face with facial foam and voila! No need for make-up remover.
- What I don’t like about it: While it lengthens my lashes well, it does little in terms of volumizing my lashes. Unlike my Maybelline HyperCurl Volume Express mascara that makes my short, stick straight lashes long and curly.
- Will I buy it again? Yes, if I’m going to wear mascara everyday (because it’s easy to remove). But I’ll still purchase Maybelline yperCurl Volume Express mascara for special occasions (even though it’s very tough to remove).
FOTD on February 28 using my first Althea make-up haul
In the car (natural light, lipstick faded; make-up applied 3 hours earlier):
While I was at Bang’s T&J Salon (bright lights, make-up applied 5 hours earlier, but lipstick freshly applied):
- Eyebrows: combination of Anastacia Beverly Hill Dipbrow Pomade (soft brown) and K-Palette 1-Day tattoo Real Lasting Eyebrow (gray brown)
- Eyelids: Witch’s Pouch Selfie Awesome Brush Gel Liner (brown)
- Eyelashes: Rire Long Luxe & Curl Mascara (black)
- Face: Banilo Co. Prime Primer Finish Powder on top of Nella Aura Radiance BB Foundation Cream on top of Olay Regenerist Micro-sculpting Day Cream
- Bronzer/Slight Contour: MAC Sculpt & Shape Powder (light sweep / shadester)
- Lips: Maybelline Creamy lipstick (Touch of Spice) on top of Nivea Lip Balm
PS: If you’re planning to shop your heart out on Althea, check this post first, at least item #2. I promise you, you will thank me. 🙂