PURSE LOVE STORIES: PURSE MAJOR HEARTBREAK PART 2
- My first text to her was long. I initially explained that I was led to believe all of her bags were authentic because of the sign in her store, and because her saleslady told me they were authentic. Thus I was surprised when the people at Vintage Restore told me not bother having them repaired because they weren’t even leather (and therefore fake). I also said that as far as I know, I bought an authentic bag. Not a replica (para wala nang gulo sa synonyms ng replica!). So just please give me my money back and I will return the bags, I said. I texted all of these very politely and point by point.
- Her reply to me was something like this: “Hija, when I saw you at the store, you looked like a smart lady. Bakit mo naman in-expect na ‘yung ganun kamurang bag ay authentic Chanel? Dapat hindi ka naniwala kay Jem kasi you know the level of the salesladies. Hindi sila marunong tumingin ng authentic at hindi. Common sense naman.”
- It hurt me, to be honest. Because I’m extremely sensitive whenever someone undermines my intelligence (I’ve mentioned that here before—sabihin n’yo nang pangit, mataba o tamad ako, pero ‘pag tinawag n’yo akong bobo o tanga, dadamdamin ko ‘yan nang sobra. And after I’ve licked my wounds, makikita n’yo kung gaano ako kagaling! Bar topnotcher levelz, hahaha! Joke lang).
- I explained that Yes, it was really a bargain. But then, kaya nga CLEARANCE SALE, ‘di ba?!? And these bags were not in season and had major flaws. So yes, the cheap price was justified. Because brand new yet fake (or, OK fine—replica) bags at Greenhills would have been cheaper! If I were OK with owning replica bags, I’d have gone to Greenhills! No flaws, in season, and cheaper pa. Plus, I’m such a good bargain hunter! So yes, I have been buying great items whose prices cannot be explained by economists (read: ukay!) I said all these very nicely and politely pa rin, except for the ukay part. Baka lalo akong maliitin eh if I tell her I ukay.
- Madame XYZ told me that the bags were consignments. She said that she has already given the original owners my payment. And if she takes back the money from them, they will just laugh at me because…
- …kumapit kayo—dito ako nainsulto nang sobra: “Barya lang ‘yung ibinayad mo sa bags. Balewala ‘yan. Ikaw pa lang ang nagreklamo sa akin. I have so many clients who are millionaires, and hindi sila nagrereklamo. You know hija, hindi dadami ang branches ko kung nanloloko ako.”
- Then she suggested I just replace the bags. I remember telling her: “Ma’am, what if nothing catches my fancy?” Because honestly, those were the only bags I liked. At that time, I couldn’t appreciate monogrammed LVs, Guccis, etc. I just wanted quilted chain bags, and those were the only bags I liked!
- Madame XYZ replied: “Hahahaha! (Yes, may Hahahaha talaga) I doubt kung wala ka nang ibang magustuhan. My clients who are even millionaires, nalulula sila sa bag collection ko. Ikaw pa kaya.”