While we were happily beaching in Cebu last week, our helpers were calling us to report how heavy the downpours were here in Laguna. They said that they couldn’t sleep because they worried that our house might get flooded, etc. They heaved a sigh of relief when the rains stopped the following day. But yesterday and today, it rained hard again. Indeed, rainy season has come again. And along with the cooler climate, it also brings floods, flu and colds. The wet season ushers in the spread of germs, making people more vulnerable to getting sick—especially kids.
Raviv is more addicted to soccer more than ever. He thoroughly enjoys his trainings, and he hates being absent. And rain or shine, their trainings push through. That’s why I’m really conscious when it comes to Raviv’s health—he needs to be in tiptop shape all the time so I don’t restrict him from enjoying playing in the rain. Moreover, staying indoors doesn’t necessarily mean that he is safe from all the germs and the illnesses that go with it. Did you know that many objects inside our homes are actually germ infested? What’s worse, some germs find humid weather an ideal environment to grow even faster!
These wrong assumptions or “maling akala” that you have may cause your family diseases that may worsen if not taken seriously. Your best bet is to make your family’s health a top priority during these months. So what’s your game plan to keep everyone protected from it?
1. Be brave and get those flu shots: While it won’t be a hundred percent effective at blocking the flu virus, it can help boost your protection from it significantly. Studies have shown that it has helped lower hospitalization rates among children. Be sure to consult your physician to make sure that you don’t have any existing allergies to the shot before taking it.
2. Say to NO to junk! The rainy season takes a major toll on the body’s immune system. Load up on fruits and vegetables that are known for their ability to boost the immune system is essential. Adding more citrus and greens to your diet can help and is a simple, preventive measure that helps you maintain a stronger immune system.
3. Catch more Zzz’s: Another culprit known for bringing your immune system down? Lack of sleep. Try to get at least 6 hours every night. Not only will your immune system thank you for it, you’ll also feel more energized.
4. Make it a habit to keep those hands clean: “Typhoons and heavy rains may cause flooding which, in turn, can potentially increase the transmission of water-borne diseases, or diseases transmitted through water contaminated with human or animal waste. These include typhoid fever, leptospirosis, and hepatitis A.” mentioned by Department of Health in a recent statement. These diseases may be obtained by having close contact with person who is infected or being in a contaminated environment. These illnesses may even be deadly but can be prevented with proper handwashing using the right antibacterial soap.
To lower your risk of infection, the solution is simple: wash your hands. Use warm water whenever possible, and use an antibacterial soap known for its ability to provide advanced and long lasting protection against germs, like Safeguard. Safeguard is equipped with GermShield+ technology which Fights against 3 types of germs-Gram+ bacteria, Gram- bacteria, and fungi and prevents microbial regrowth for up to 24 hours.
About a month ago, I was among the moms invited to the Safeguard Science Discovery Launch. It was an exclusive immersion that will took me and other mom influencers to an investigative journey in understanding germs and the science behind Safeguard.
I must say I learned a lot from it, and I am more loyal to Safeguard now more than ever. Because speaking of maling akala, I had several misconceptions about Safeguard and other antibacterial soaps. Here they are:
Maling Akala #1: Safeguard is just as effective as another antibacterial soap.
In the Science Discovery Lab, we were shown handprints infected with germs and washed with different antibacterial soaps. Notice how only the one in the middle is acceptably germ-free. And yes, that’s the one washed with Safeguard.
Maling Akala #2: Safeguard is so effective in removing germs that’s why it’s very harsh on the skin.
In the Safeguard Discovery Lab, we were asked to lather two clear beads with Safeguard Pure White Body Wash and another two clear beads with a popular body wash (something I’ve been using). Notice how the beads on the left (lathered with the popular body wash) are blurry while the beads lathered with Safeguard remained clear! Surprise, surprise!!!
Afterwards, we lathered the Safeguard and Brand X on rose petals. Now we all know how sensitive rose petals are, right? After just a few seconds, this was what happened:
The one lathered with Brand X turned purple, but the one lathered with Safeguard retained its color. I was really amazed! But I was also happy because for a long time, I refused to use Safeguard because I thought it would dry my skin because it was “too effective”.
Now here’s a fact I could bank on: With Safeguard, I get the best of both worlds!
- Safeguard Pure White Body Wash is available in 720ml (PhP 219), 400ml (PhP 145) and 200ml (PhP 85)
- Safeguard Pure White Bar Soap is available in 90g (P 25.75), 135g (P 38), and 180 ml (P 48.00)
- Safeguard Pure White Liquid Hand Soap is available in 225ml (P 80.00)